Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Faithful Character Interview: Tom

Hello everyone today I have the great honor of presenting to you Tom Rowland who is a character in Janet Fox's debut novel Faithful. Faithful is primarily the story of "sixteen-year-old Maggie Bennet’s life is in tatters. Her mother has disappeared, and is presumed dead. The next thing she knows, her father has dragged Maggie away from their elegant Newport home, off on some mad excursion to Yellowstone in Montana. Torn from the only life she’s ever known, away from her friends, from society, and verging on no prospects, Maggie is furious and devastated by her father’s betrayal. But when she arrives, she finds herself drawn to the frustratingly stubborn, handsome Tom Rowland, the son of a park geologist, and to the wild romantic beauty of Yellowstone itself. And as Tom and the promise of freedom capture Maggie’s heart, Maggie is forced to choose between who she is and who she wants to be." (description taken from Amazon.com)

Full Name: Tom Rowland
Nickname: Tom
Age: 17
Favorite food: Ice cream! But only when I’m sharing with Maggie.
Favorite color: Blue
Favorite number: Five
Favorite kind of music: Mozart. The new phonograph I have – I can play a recording – amazing stuff – and listen to an entire Mozart sonata in my own house.

Please tell us a little about you.

I’m the kind of guy who loves the out-of-doors. My dad is a geologist who works out in the field mapping and collecting samples and I’ve been following him everywhere since I can remember. But I’m not much of a hunter. Not that I haven’t done my share of hunting; I just prefer my animals alive so I can watch them. Now give me a fly fishing rod and I could spend all day fishing. I have to work hard in school, but I have plans to attend the college in Bozeman, and hard work is what it takes, right?

Tell me about your parents. How well do/did you get along with them?

I have a lot of respect for my dad. He’s smart and quiet and he doesn’t mind taking me along with him when he works. My mom is a sweet, kind person who likes to volunteer at the local hospital – I guess that’s where I get my inclination for biology. You could say we’re a close family. We don’t argue much. Except maybe when I’m told to straighten up my room when I’m in the middle of a project. Even then I’ve never heard my mom raise her voice. She just gives me the look, you know?

What do you like to do in your free time?



Tramp around in the woods, mostly. And when I’m at school my favorite subject is biology, so I do a bit in my free time, too – like study how things adapt to their environments and stuff. This recent theory proposed by Mr. Charles Darwin, I’ve been reading a lot about it, seeing if I could find ways to prove it. It makes sense to me. But, hey, I also like to play baseball – we’ve got a team in Bozeman and we’re pretty good. I play second base.

Have you always lived in Montana? If not what are some of the places you’ve lived before?

Always in Montana. I was born in the Big Sky, and want to spend the rest of my life here. Oh, I hope to do some travelling, but not to fancy places. I want to see Africa, South America, Australia. I like camping, so roughing it isn’t a problem. I sure hope Maggie likes roughing it.

What do you like the most about Montana? The least?

What I like the most is the peaceful feeling I have when I watch the sun set over the mountains. I think this is what heaven is like. Now, I don’t mind the snow, which is good, because we have plenty of snow in the winter. But I could do without mud season – March, April. It gets old about then. It still snows, and it can be ugly and it feels like winter will never end.

Is there anything else you might want people to know about you?

I’m a pretty straight-up guy. And loyal, too. Which means I expect people to be like that with me. I won’t put up with fakery or snobbery. Maggie – I could see through her the minute we met. I think I know her better than she knows herself. I’m pretty sure she’s not a snob; I hope she won’t disappoint me.

This interview is cross-posted on Ticket to Anywhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment