One of my nicknames in life is “Listy Kristi”, so what better way to fill you in on some behind-the-scenes dish?
- The trailer was directed and produced by Rocky Smith of Rock V Productions, LLC.
- Rocky is a former student of mine, who I was fortunate enough to have in a Film & Literature course while he was a senior in high school. Rocky graduated from Wright State University with a film degree in 2008, and was willing to help me out with the trailer (shwoo!).
- I actually had the pleasure of assisting Rocky during the editorial process of the trailer’s creation, analyzing every single frame of the footage along with him.
- Rocky coaches cheerleading at a sports center near Dayton, and he pulled the girls who play Tessa & Noelle, and a third who performed the voiceover, from his competitive squad. The guy playing Max is an actor/director who Rocky worked with on a film project through Wright State University.
- They are all still in high school, if you can believe that!
- While filming the scenes in the dead sunflower field, Rocky and “Elle” suffered the icky-sticky issue of ankle-deep mud. They say they got a very good workout that day!
- The Three Sisters, a very important location in the book, actually exist in Sugarcreek Nature Reserve near Dayton, Ohio.
- The Three Sisters is one of my all time favorite locations – I hike there whenever I can find a few hours to spare.
- Sadly, the middle sister, who had been weakened due to an earlier fire, fell to the ground during the summer of 2008.
- I learned about her fall just as I began lengthy revisions on my manuscript, and was so upset that I would never see her standing again. But I felt proud that I had memorialized one of my favorite spots in my debut novel.
Now that you've read the Behind-the-Scenes secrets, check out the trailer!
Cross-posted at: Read This Book.