Friday, March 5, 2010

Ever seen a character diss the author?!

I kid, I kid.

Today I have the great pleasure of bringing you an exclusive interview with Kent Fuller, one of the many great characters (and can I say my favorite) from Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall.

First off, please tell us a little about you. 

 Sure thing. Let’s see. My name’s Kent McFuller and I’m a senior at Thomas Jefferson. I’m the editor-in-chief and founder of The Tribulation, the school humor newspaper. My dream is to write for The Onion one day, or maybe the Daily Show. (I’m man enough to say it: I love you, Jon Stewart.) My favorite book is Catch-22. When my grandfather died he left me this old-school bowler hat in his will. It’s my favorite possession.  

What can you tell us about your role in Before I Fall?  

I’m the Dashing and Incredibly Studly Romantic Hero, of course.  Well, okay, maybe not exactly dashing or studly, but I think I end up being a romantic hero anyway, at least for part of the book.  

What was your favorite part or scene of the book? Or maybe is there a favourite line(s) you had that you want to share?  

Do you even have to ask? I get to kiss Sam in this book. I’ve been dreaming about kissing her since I was, like, four years old.  

Overall, how do you think Lauren Oliver handled your story?  

To be honest? Five out of ten. I’ll give her some props for the conversations I got to have with Sam (and did I mention the kissing?) but I have some major issues with the overall arc of the book.  

Is there was a scene that you could have done differently from how Lauren wrote it, what would it be & how would it be different?  

I think she should have gotten rid of Rob way earlier in the book, obviously. And I have serious beef with the ending. I mean, really? I didn’t speak to Lauren for months. And, you know, if it were up to me I would have been kissing Sam on every single page.  

Which character in the story would you most like to have a drink with and why? 

Sam’s always carting around a Dunkin Donuts cup. I’d like to surprise her with a cup of coffee the way she likes it—large Hazelnut, no sugar, extra cream—somewhere crazy and romantic, like at the top of the Eiffel Tower. I’m not even sure if they have DD in Paris, but still.  

If you could meet any character from another book, who would it be and why?
Probably Legolas, from Lord of the Rings, just because, you know--who knew elves could be so badass? According to Keebler, most of them spend all their time baking chocolate chip cookies. (And yeah, I know, I’m a nerd. Sam used to tell me that all the time; I’m over it.)



Thanks Kent for stopping by! I loved getting to know a little bit more about you. For those that want to know more be sure to pick up a copy of Before I Fall. 

1 comments:

Thuy said...

Love this interview! Made me laugh out loud :)

Post a Comment