Saturday, May 8, 2010

Interview with Lindsey Leavitt


You have read my review of Princess For Hire now, here’s an interview with the fabulous author Lindsey Leavitt!
Hi Lindsey! Could you tell us more about yourself first? In no more than 150 words.
Okay. Opening up my train of thought for y’all. UNEDITED. Ready?
I like the color yellow. My kids are hilarious. I think guys in scrubs are cute (particularly MY GUY in scrubs). To get Zen, I hit up the batting cages or play pepper (volleyball) or swim. I like sunshine. I hate winter. And I write.
What was your first reaction when you saw the cover for Princess For Hire? 
HOLY PINKNESS. This is probably a universal reaction. I really love it, though. It’s beautiful, especially in person, and I love how it hints at magic.
What’s one of your favorite first sentences from one of your favorite books? (Borrowing question from Malinda Lo!)
“My name is India Opal Buloni, and last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.” from Because of Winn Dixie.
Why was it your favorite? 
Because it let’s us know so much about Opal and the setting and her family in such a simple way. In fact, the simplicity lures us in, so that the “came back with a dog” is a delicious surprise.
In what ways was Desi similar to you?
When I was thirteen, I was at odds with who I was and who I thought people wanted me to be. So I would try to be those things (and was thus that over-eager LIKE ME! girl), when really I learned that Being Authentic was my best bet.
If someone told you 20 years ago that you would be a published author, what would your reaction be?
Oh, I wouldn’t be able to say anything. Because I was 1, of course. Maybe ma ma?
If you could meet one author, living or dead, who would it be?
There are a bunch of writers who I really admire, but I’m not sure I’d want to hang out with them. Like Tolstoy? Could be a drag.
So I’ll go with Meg Cabot, because she’s just so sparkly and real. Plus, she’s very secure in who she is as a writer and a person, and I’d hope some of that would rub off on me. And maybe I could borrow some of her clothes.
If you could go back in time and tell your 16-year-old self a piece of advice, what would it be? 
OPEN YOUR EYES.
In Princess For Hire, there is a mix between fantasy and reality. Ultimately, what would you like people to take away from your book?
I’ve been told my book has a “good message”, and of course I was aware of that as I wrote it. But really? I just want it to make people happy for the couple of hours they’re reading it. Laughter is good. I hope readers close it and feel like their day is a little brighter.
Thanks for stopping by, Lindsey. Tomorrow, her protagonist, Desi will be popping in. Hope you enjoyed the interview!
A little more about Lindsey: Lindsey Leavitt grew up in Las Vegas and now lives in Alabama with her husband and three small daughters. Although she has been a substitute teacher and a homecoming princess, she has never been a substitute princess. Yet. She’s still scanning the Want Ads…

0 comments:

Post a Comment