Friday, January 8, 2010

Chloe Neill's Casting A Spell on You


I'm glad to welcome Chloe Neill, author of The Chicagoland Vampire series here to tell us more about her YA book, Firespell, which is in all good bookstores today. Happy release day, Chloe!

Describe Firespell in a one liner.
Lily Parker, a high school junior, is sent to private school in Chicago under suspicious circumstances. She quickly discovers that magic rules the night.

What inspired you to write Firespell?
Actually, I always wanted to go to private school, and I like the idea of people discovering that they have talents they weren't aware of. Firespell is the combination of both those things!

Is this your first venture into YA? How different is it writing for YA as opposed to adult books?
Yes, it is! There are so many more rules--from a legal perspective. There are curfews, driving restrictions, and educational requirements. Other than that, the same rule applies whether it's YA or adult--give the characters a true voice.

The model on the cover bears a striking resemblance to Selena Gomez. If Firespell was adapted into a movie, who would you cast as Lily and Scott?
You know, while I have clear images of Lily and Scout, I really don't have anyone in mind in terms of actresses. I do think the cover model looks a lot like Lily.



What does the key on the cover symbolize?
Can't give that one away! :)

Worth a try!(Darn it.) Did you do any special research for Firespell, like hunting for schools?
I do lots of research for all my books. In this case, it was for the operation of boarding schools, the architecture of downtown Chicago, and medieval church architecture to help with the layout of St. Sophia's.

As you can read from the excerpt, Lily was left in the US as her parents went on a two year sabbatical in Munich, Germany. Did something like that happen to you?
Nope. I did know professors who'd taken similar trips, however.



Is St. Sophia’s modelled after any particular school, or a mix of them? What’s the history behind it?
St. Sophia's is not modeled after any particular school, although the architecture is similar to Chartres Cathedral in France.

Oh wow. Will there be a sequel?
Yes--there are currently three books under contract in the Dark Elite series.

Do you have any upcoming book plans that you can share with us?
I'm currently editing TWICE BITTEN, the third book in my Chicagoland Vampires series, which will be released on July 6, 2010. Once that's done, I'll return to writing the second book in the Dark Elite series. Thanks for having me today! I hope everyone enjoys Firespell!

I'm sure we will! For those of you who want more Firespell, have you checked out the exclusive sneak peek? Leave a comment to be entered into the Firespell contest.

Stalkerage:
Chloe Neill
Blog
Twitter

Cross-posted at: LiyanaLand! on 5 January 2010.

1 comments:

Jennifer Rummel said...

So looking forward to this new series as I love the Chicagoland Vamp series

Post a Comment